Norwegian Spirit Cuts Ports in Hawaii as Tropical Storm Closes In
If you're aboard Norwegian Spirit's Vancouver-to-Honolulu sailing, note that Hilo (Aug. 14) and Kona (Aug. 15) have been cancelled, and the ship arrived early in Honolulu on August 13. You can choose to disembark early in Honolulu or stay aboard, in which case the ship departs around 11 p.m. Thursday and remains at sea until Sunday, August 16 as originally scheduled. Guests who remain onboard are reportedly receiving onboard credit as compensation for the missed ports.
What jumps out here is the timing: Norwegian pulled Spirit into Honolulu a full three days ahead of the scheduled August 16 debarkation rather than risk Hilo and Kona, both on the Big Island, where a hurricane watch is already posted for the entire county. That's a straightforward risk calculation — better to eat two port calls than have a ship caught near a strengthening storm with tropical-storm-force winds reaching out 205 miles from the center. The decision to keep the ship at sea overnight rather than stay docked in Honolulu tells me Norwegian is prioritizing keeping the vessel in deep water over guest convenience, which is the right call operationally. Guests who stay aboard reportedly get onboard credit, per passenger reports rather than official cruise line statements — worth noting since that detail isn't confirmed by Norwegian directly. If I were on this sailing, I'd take the early Honolulu arrival as a bonus and decide based on my flights home whether the credit is worth riding out the extra days at sea.