✈️ Travel Impact

Vance Becomes a Hurricane Off Mexico's Pacific Coast, Forecast to Reach Major Strength by Tonight

The National Hurricane Center's Advisory Number 8, issued at 300 AM CST on Friday, October 23, 2026, says Vance has become a hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph. Rapid intensification is expected to continue, and Vance is forecast to become a major hurricane by tonight. The center was near 10.9N, 102.1W, about 440 miles SSW of Acapulco and 580 miles SSE of Manzanillo. It is moving north-northwest at 6 mph, and that motion is expected to continue through the weekend. Minimum central pressure is 982 mb. Hurricane-force winds extend up to 35 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds up to 205 miles. No coastal watches or warnings are in effect. Swells are expected to reach southern and southwestern Mexico this weekend and continue into next week, with life-threatening surf and rip currents likely.
💡 What This Means For You

If you have a sailing on Mexico's southern or southwestern Pacific coast this weekend or next week, check Vance's track against your route. The advisory lists no coastal watches or warnings, but it expects life-threatening surf and rip currents from swells beginning this weekend. Ask your cruise line how it is handling port calls near Acapulco and Manzanillo, and follow the next NHC advisory due at 900 AM CST. Stay out of rough surf on any beach days.

📝 Mark's Take

My read is that this advisory is a weather note, not a cruise story, and anyone claiming itineraries are already changing is ahead of the facts. The National Hurricane Center says nothing about ships, ports or cruise lines. What it does say is notable. Vance went from tropical storm to 85 mph hurricane and is forecast to be a major hurricane by tonight, with rapid intensification continuing. It is still about 440 miles SSW of Acapulco and moving only 6 mph north-northwest. That slow pace matters because it gives the swells time to build. The real exposure is the surf: life-threatening rip currents are expected along southern and southwestern Mexico from this weekend into next week, and that is what shore excursions and beach days will face first. If I held a Mexican Pacific booking, I would watch the 900 AM CST advisory and your cruise line's notices rather than assume a cancellation. I would also skip the water at any port that gets those swells.

Still Afloat curates and summarizes cruise industry developments, travel disruptions, weather impacts and destination intelligence while crediting and linking directly to original publishers.

Planning a cruise?

Talk to Mark — a real cruise advisor who's sailed it himself, not a call center. Honest picks, no pressure, and no booking fees to you.

Work with Mark →

🧳 Cabin essentials for when plans change at sea →